Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Nitro Tornadoes

I lived for a long time in the midwest and hadn't seen a tornado, though I saw the sky boil just prior to the Joplin disaster. However, that didn't mean that there wasn't any stress when they were forecasted -- at least until I checked out the real conditions. Rarely did they touch where I lived.

Here in Nitro, I don't have much of a worry about the things. Oh, there is always a possibility of anything, but the chances of a tornado here is so slim I'm not at all worried. I'm more worried about the weather forecasts becoming deadly.

The topology is all wrong. Tornadoes usually come from the southwest and go to the northeast. It is conceivable that one can come down the huge Teays Valley, but it will be north of us. It is conceivable that a tornado will turn south, but that rare instance is normally southeast, not due south.

It is also conceivable that a tornado will touch down in St. Albans just to our southwest, but then it will have to stay together as it approaches the steep hillside to our east. The turbulence would probably kill it.

Yeah, it is possible for a tornado to hit Nitro, but so is winning big in a lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am trying to keep the language of this blog such that a child may read it. Please comment with that in mind.